Thursday, December 29, 2011

Knit One, Purl One

I am determined to learn how to knit. I can sew, crochet, and even tat a little but knitting has always alluded me. I have no idea why really as there's only a few stitches to learn and I can sew just fine which can be intimidating when you think about making a full outfit. I recently got out my knitting needles, my how to book, and you tube videos and started up again. I am doing ok so far and have gotten further along than ever before, but I still have miles to go before I am ready to make anything real like this:



My good friend made this amazing leaf scarf for me for my birthday to help keep me warm while we wait for me to learn. She wanted to try out a vintage pattern that had been reproduced in a book, and I couldn't resist requesting this scarf. It's absolutely beautiful and looks perfect with my vintage coats. She's brilliantly good at this, and she is serving as my inspiration to learn to do this craft once and for all! I am having her make me this shrug below next. I figured that by the time I finally figure out how to knit this well I will be too old to wear anything this cute! I am going to have her make it grey with cream edging. Can't wait! Maybe I shouldn't worry about learning and just commission her to make me a new winter wardrobe! =p




2 comments:

  1. that scarf is lovely.I have been wanting to learn knitting as well but I know with me it's something that takes time and patience and right now I i know it would be hard to commit too.That shrug will be pretty I love that blue in the pic.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I keep going back and forth about the color of the shrug, I love the blue in the pic too but then think that mostly will look good with white and living in TX there isn't much call for a knit shrug over white at the time when you can wear white. Maybe if I changed the white to cream then it'd work. I don't know. I need to go stare in my closet for awhile and imagine it with different outfits before I decide! I actually have accomoplished some knitting this past week. Got about half way through with a basic on stich scarf and it's nice if you don't look at the fact that it's not straight, and there are holes where there shouldn't be holes... hee hee....

    ReplyDelete