Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cowboys and Indians at the Flea Market

It is a very rare day that my husband braves the collectorating road with me, but last Sunday was one of those rare days. We had been having a leisurely breakfast at one of Austin's  oldest diners (Nighthawk), which is near by one of Austin's most underused market areas. It would be a perfect place for daily farmer's market. I don't know why we have to wait until one day a week to go to a nearby farmer's market when my mom in the Dallas Fort Worth suburb area has two daily markets nearby! Anyway I digress... once a month they use the parking lot of the venue for a collectible flea market. It's a mixture of typical flea markety type stuff with some good mid century collectibles mixed in. On top of that it's small. I thought it might be a perfect no-stress, low attention span collectorating event we could enjoy together. He likes shopping, but just in bursts, not all day affairs like CollectoratorOne and I are prone to. In any case, I casually mentioned it getting no response and went on with breakfast. To my surprise after breakfast he pulled into the parking area! Score one for me! Well my winning went by the wayside fast because we walked away mostly with stuff for him. Mostly tie bars and cuff links. We found the mother lode for cheap which was exactly what he needed. I almost bought a couple of things but thought to myself do I really want to pack this.... so I resisted. What we couldn't walk away from tho was this awesome 1950 set of wall art for a little boy's room. Now I'll preface this with we do not have kids, unless you count the pets whom do not have their own room other than they seem to take over our room... But it was such an awesome set the little boy inside my adult husband had to have it for his man cave. Plus it was $5 for the set! Neat, huh? Admittedly, it's a little funny up there surrounded by pictures of Joe Strummer, Buddy Holly and David Johansen but it works somehow...

4 comments:

  1. Haha, so cute! I have a vintage Cowboys & Indians kids book he can have to go along with it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to check out that flea - can't believe I haven't been there! I've heard good things though, and now it's official! I need to go. Love your little cowboys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blog.That cowboy set is a great find.I have always loved the cowboys and indian themes.It's a shame little boys dont enjoy things like that much anymore.Mine only care about electronics.lol.I like collecting the old howdy doody show things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks y'all! (in my best cowboy drawl). CollectoratorOne I'll take that book! It'll be so cute with it, although cute is probably not the look he is going for...haha. I don't know why little boys don't love this stuff anymore. I guess cowboys and indians are mysterious and exciting anymore when there are three headed robots that transform into cars.

    ReplyDelete